S1 (Viva Voce) Part A Question 1


S1 (Viva Voce) Part B Reflection
During this short performance task, there were many challenges and learning points. The question that I chose was the first one. In this question, the challenges I faced were minimal however I learnt many new things. One of the most obvious challenge was the explanation of the equation, 2x + 3 is equal to 3x - 7 and how I was going to solve it from there. There was a bit of contradiction as I did not know whether I should have used “similar terms” or “balance both sides”. In the end, I used the term “balance both sides by using similar terms” I did this as I remembered that in a same equation, the objective is to make both sides equal or balanced. Another challenge was the phrasing and the method of the conversion of units from “centimeters squared” to “meter squared”. First of all, I sought out the logic behind the conversion. I remembered that 100cm was equal to 1m, thus if I were to convert 100cm to 1m I had to multiply it by 0.01. Since the unit was cm^2, I used logical thinking and said that it would have to be “0.01 x 0.01”, that is how I overcame this challenge. The second part was to phrase it correctly which was really challenging. If I had phrased it wrongly for example, “in order to get 100cm to 1m you have to divide it by 0.01”, where it should have been, “in order to get 100cm to 1m you have to multiply it by 0.01”.  As for learning points, I learnt many new phrases and keywords that I thought I had forgotten, such as “similar terms”, “balance both sides”, “same sides”, “equal length” etc. This activity helped me jolt my memory to apply these terms correctly. Another learning point was the fact that I applied the knowledge I had acquired in class and applied it into this activity to the best of my ability.


1 comment:

  1. Part (i): You have clearly described how you arrive at the equation (i.e. why equating those 2 algebraic expressions). You have pointed out the need to balance the equation. However, how did you get 7+3 on one side? The adding/ subtracting of terms to both sides was missing in the account.

    Part (ii): The substitution was systematically and clearly explained. Avoid using "->" in working.
    "cm^2" is to be read as "square centimetre"

    Part (iii): The idea behind the conversion is very easier understood. The answer should be 0.023 m^2. Check the calculation.

    ReplyDelete