Maths Viva Voce Question 1 Lam Jiajun

Reflections:
Learning Points: From this project I have learnt that explaining a solution for a question is much harder solving a question. Though we have to use the same steps and answer, we have to turn our answer into something vocal and others can understand. We must explain every single step and find the reasoning behind the working. When we solve question, we have formulas and mental calculation already in our heads, but in explaining it, it is one whole different story. We have to think and think how our steps are done and the reasons and concepts behind it. We have to make the workings into something even young children can understand.
Challenges: I faced a couple of challenges in this project. I used paper and pen to show my workings instead of some other classmates who used multimedia platforms to display their workings. Since I decided to point out which working I was explaining so the audience would not get lost, I had to keep looking at both the paper and the soft-copy script I made. I had to co-ordinate my eyes with my hands, and multi-task. I also faced problems when trying to keep the paper in view of the camera, and not let it bend at the edges so the audience can see my workings, since I was already desperately trying to focus on both my pointing and the script. I also said some things wrongly in the video, so I am not very happy with it.

1 comment:

  1. Part (i): You've clearly pointed out that the 2 opposite lengths are equal because they are in a rectangle. Good.
    You are right to talk about the moving of the terms. However, I think the subsequent description on how you "move" the terms was a bit messy. Would be good to just focus on the 'balancing of equation', to add or subtract the same term on both sides of the equation.
    The 'cancellation' of the negative sign is not because value of x must be positive, then we cancel the negative sign. By right, when we reach the step "-x = -3", the next step is to multiply both sides by "-1" so that we can find the "x" value.

    Part (ii): Should read " cm^2 " as "square centimetre".
    You are correct to say that we can replace the "x" by the value we found in Part (1). I like the fact that you pointed out we can check the answer if the length value is correct by substituting the x value into the other algebraic expression representing the length.

    Part (iii): You are right that we must know 1m = 100 cm before we can do the conversion. Good.

    ReplyDelete